Sunday, February 05, 2006

The problem with reading for grad school...

The biggest problem I am having right now is that I am reading for three classes, a couple of projects I am interested in, and trying to keep my dissertation rolling along at some respectable pace, as well. Frankly, the reading is all over the map. But from the title of this post, the problem is that there is such little time to reflect. Therefore, this attempt to summarize and make connections may seem a little weak, but is offered for thought anyway.

The text that's consumed most of my day is Issues in the measurement of metacognition edited by Schraw and Impara. It would be torture for anyone with a qualitative bent, I am sure, but I am hoping to use some of this in my dissertation. The amazing thing that I read today, that has relevance for this class in particular is that very few, if any, studies have been conducted with students or participants from a variety of ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Researchers have compared children, adolescents, and adults on a number of other descriptors, but nothing related to race or origin. Very strange, I think. The editors offered this in the same paragraph as research from 1994 by Graham in which African-American students' self-assessment of abilities were not positively correleated with achievement. In thinking about my own research project AKA the dissertation, I realized that I am not making really any significant contribution here, either. If I go with the school which I had considered for my study, there is not a lot of diversity. Should I consider a different school? Should I incorporate ethnicity into the dissertation? Or should I hold this one out, address it as a limitation, and have something new to do when I finish? So many questions...

Schraw, G. & Impara, J.C. (2000). Issues in the mesasurement of metacognition. Lincoln, NE: Buros Institute of Mental Measurements.

Graham, S. (1994). Motivation in African Americans. Review of Educational Research, 64, 55-117.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home